This week I’m stepping away from my Let’s Play, my Reviews, and my Blog Posts to encourage you to likewise step away from the normal voices you listen to (which are statistically likely to be predominantly White). Instead, I’d like you to take this moment to actively seek voices of people of color, of Black people, on YouTube, on Twitch, in the podcasts you listen to, the books you read, the roleplaying games you play.
Before I get into my list of recommendations – I also want you to make sure you’re registered to vote: https://www.vote.org/am-i-registered-to-vote/
For social change to happen, protesting and giving money isn’t enough, we need to vote – not just in presidential elections, and for the Federal legislature, but in every race down the ballot, all the way down to the school board, and even dogcatcher if that’s an elected position in your area.
Now, the recommendations – this is not the be-all and end-all – not in the slightest. This is a place to start, and I urge you to seek out more voices on your own. I’m also limiting myself to currently living authors – you should still check out Octavia Butler’s books (for example), but there’s a bad habit of limiting discussion of African American writers, artists, and poets to people who have passed away, which diminishes the contributions of currently living artists.
Actual Play Podcasts:
- Friends at the Table: http://friendsatthetable.net/
- Rivals of Waterdeep: http://www.rivalsofwaterdeep.com/
- SirLionhart: https://www.twitch.tv/sirlionhartlive
- Also has a YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Sirlionhart
- N.K. Jemisin: https://www.twitch.tv/nkjemisin
- Also is a multi-time Hugo Award winning speculative fiction writer, and has been writing comics for Marvel.
- The Anime Tea Podcast: https://anchor.fm/animeteapod
- Twitter thread listing additional Anime podcasts & YouTube channels from black women: https://twitter.com/theanimetea/status/1268619913234509824
- Daryl Surat is the heart and soul of the Anime World Order Podcast, one of the longest running anime podcasts I’m aware of: https://www.awopodcast.com/
Speculative Fiction Authors:
- Nnedi Okorafor
- P. Djèlí Clark
- B. Dave Walters (Dungeons & Dragons: A Darkened Wish)
- Vita Ayala (Magic The Gathering: Chandra; Age of X-Man: Prisoner X).
- VintageHenshin: YouTube channel about the history of tokusatsu run by Mike Dent, who is one of the first podcasters I’ve listened to. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZjy_fV84o2gOCo9nx6QzJw
- The Philocypher: One of my fellow members of the Console Xplosion: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCskabdQYyO9h-Pcu546WkwA
- Radical Reggie: Part of the Metal Jesus Rocks family of Podcasts, and someone with great insight on game collecting (and who shares my taste in JRPGs): https://www.youtube.com/user/icon770